Portugal is a beautiful country with a rich history and diverse landscape. From the stunning beaches to the quaint towns and charming villages, Portugal has something for everyone. In this post, we will take a look at the 10 best towns in Portugal that you must visit.
- Lisbon: The capital city of Portugal is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to the country. With its cobbled streets, colorful buildings, and lively atmosphere, Lisbon is a city full of history and culture. Some of the top attractions in Lisbon include the Belem Tower, the Jeronimos Monastery, and the Alfama district.
- Porto: Located in the north of Portugal, Porto is a charming town known for its famous port wine. The town is situated on the Douro River and is known for its beautiful architecture, including the stunning Dom Luis I Bridge.
- Sintra: Located just outside of Lisbon, Sintra is a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its stunning palaces and castles. Some of the top attractions in Sintra include the Pena Palace, the Castle of the Moors, and the Quinta da Regaleira.
- Coimbra: Located in central Portugal, Coimbra is a historic town known for its beautiful architecture and rich cultural heritage. The town is home to one of the oldest universities in Europe, the University of Coimbra, which dates back to the 13th century.
- Faro: Located in the Algarve region of Portugal, Faro is a popular destination for tourists looking to enjoy the beautiful beaches and warm weather. The town is known for its historic old town and stunning cathedral.
- Aveiro: Known as the "Venice of Portugal," Aveiro is a charming town located in the north of the country. The town is known for its beautiful canals, colorful boats, and traditional architecture.
- Evora: Located in the Alentejo region of Portugal, Evora is a historic town known for its stunning Roman ruins and medieval architecture. Some of the top attractions in Evora include the Temple of Diana, the Cathedral of Evora, and the Chapel of Bones.
- Obidos: Located on the west coast of Portugal, Obidos is a beautiful medieval town known for its stunning castle and city walls. The town is also known for its annual chocolate festival, which takes place in the summer.
- Viana do Castelo: Located in the north of Portugal, Viana do Castelo is a charming town known for its beautiful beaches and historic landmarks. Some of the top attractions in Viana do Castelo include the Santa Luzia Hill, the Basilica of Santa Luzia, and the Gil Eannes Ship Museum.
- Braga: Known as the "Rome of Portugal," Braga is a historic town located in the north of the country. The town is known for its stunning baroque architecture, including the Bom Jesus do Monte sanctuary and the Braga Cathedral.
In conclusion, Portugal is a beautiful country with many charming towns and villages. From the bustling cities of Lisbon and Porto to the historic towns of Sintra and Evora, there is something for everyone in Portugal. So, plan your trip today and explore the beauty of this wonderful country.